Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
 
| Print This Page |

St. John's Regional Fire Department News Release: Chimineas and Outdoor Fireplace Safety

Posted on Thursday June 06, 2019

The St. John's Regional Fire Department issued the following News Release regardingChimineas and Outdoor Fireplace Safety:

Whether you already have a chiminea or outdoor fireplace or you are planning to add one, invest some effort in reviewing outdoor fireplace safety. This is especially important if you’re new to using a fire pit. It only takes a second for a cozy fire to burst into a blazing inferno.

The St. John’s Regional Fire Department wishes to remind all residents of the following safety tips that will help ensure you get the most enjoyment from your outdoor fireplace by keeping family and friends safe.

The following fire safety precautions will help ensure these devices are operated in a safe manner:

  • Wind speeds are not in excess of 25 km per hour.
  • Smoke does not cause an annoyance to adjoining properties.

These open air fireplaces are required to be:

  • Installed in conformance with manufacturer’s instructions, if supplied.
  • Located at least 3 meters from any building, structure or combustible material.
  • Capable of completely containing/enclosing the fire.
  • Equipped with a spark arrestor and/or screen to prevent escape of sparks and/or embers.
  • Placed on a firm and level surface which has a non-combustible base beneath it, a minimum of 0.5 m completely outside the perimeter of the unit.
  • Attended by someone with access to a fire extinguisher, bucket of water or another water source while operating.

General Safety

  • Never use gasoline, kerosene, starter fluids or any other substance that may create a rapid build-up of fire.
  • DO NOT use any of these outdoor devices inside your home.
  • These units are not intended as a primary heat source.
  • Properly dispose of ashes once the fire is out. Allow them to cool before disposing, otherwise, douse with plenty of water and NEVER place them in plastic, paper, or wooden container, only metal.
For more information contact:
 
Captain Mike Maher
Fire Prevention Officer
St. John’s Regional Fire Department
(709) 576-3905

Contact(s)